Aston Villa managed to put an end to their losing streak today, but were still unable to get a fourth win. The 0-0 draw with Newcastle United at Villa Park was exactly as boring as that scoreline makes you think it was. The only really exciting thing was the fact that since it only allowed Newcastle a point, and since Sunderland won, the visiting team is right back in the thick of the relegation fight. When Sunderland host Everton on Wednesday, they can put away Newcastle with a win.
But like I said, it was a dreadfully boring match, so rather than a recap, I have a few questions for interim manager Eric Black.
- Why did you play five at the back again? And don't tell me it was three and two wing-backs, because I watched and it was basically five at the back.
- Why did you play Joleon Lescott again?
- Why did you play Leandro. Freaking. Bacuna. at centre back? That was pretty dumb.
- Are you going to try and tell me that the clean sheet is a sign that the answers to the previous questions are meaningless because of how things turned out?
- Do you realize that they turned out this way not because of any defensive brilliance from Villa but rather because of ineptitude from Newcastle?
- Why, in Aston Villa's last match in the Premier League at Villa Park until at least August 2017, did you decide to put out a dreadfully boring lineup that was sure to irritate the fans?
- Why, too, did you wait until the ninetieth minute to make your first substitution?
- When the season is an absolute loss, why didn't you at least play Jack Grealish and Adama Traore?
- Were you afraid of giving those players experience?
- Or is denying the fans any semblance of fun part of your plan?
- How does it feel to be more disliked by most Villa fans than Leandro Bacuna or even Joleon Lescott?
- How does it feel to be the worst manager at the club in a year when Tim Sherwood, Kevin MacDonald, and Rémi Garde combined for only three wins?
- Will you be going away soon?
- Is there any chance I can convince you to go away more soon?
- Will you please let the inflatable sex doll that briefly obscured the camera replace you for next weekend's visit to Arsenal?