One of the hot rumours of the day in Aston Villa land is that the club have been linked to Malaga midfielder Sergi Darder. If you've got a mind like a steel trap, you may remember that Darder scored in Villa's preseason friendly with the Spanish club last summer. Yesterday, he scored the second goal in Malaga's 2-0 win over Villarreal, and while it wasn't pretty it was certainly a solid effort of finishing that could help a club like Aston Villa:
But this rumour isn't one about which we should get too excited. Darder is under contract at Malaga through the 2016-17 season. While that is often something that can be overcome, the buy-out clause is supposedly £33 million, which would seem to be far too much for Villa to pay for anyone who is not a proven star. Add into this the fact that Manchester City and Tottenham, who both have significantly deeper pockets, are supposedly in on the midfielder as well, and it quickly paints a picture of false hope for Villa fans.
Sorry to break everyones' hearts, but the dreams of a Spanish midfield are perhaps a bit premature.
- Homegrown winger eager to stay with Villa, hasn't heard from club
- Aston Villa won't turn things around until they learn the right lessons from their futility
- Like any good spies, Pulis and Palace have faded from our minds
- Analyzing the relegation battle: Who will drop?
- Reading between the lines indicates a club for sale