Aston Villa have made it through to the fourth round of the FA Cup, although they don't have much time to celebrate: the first leg of the League Cup semi-final is set for Tuesday. But after today's win, they should be flying high against Bradford City.
Ipswich Town took the lead around the 30th minute. Originally the goal was credited to Michael Chopra, but it's quite likely it will go down as an own goal for Eric Lichaj, who tried to clear the danger but put the ball into his own net.
But just a minute into the second half, Darren Bent had the equalizer, from a pass by Charles N'Zogbia. It took until the 82nd minute, however, for Villa to take the lead. It was Andreas Weimann, of course, who's becoming quite a hero to the Villa faithful. He sent in a lovely header from a cross from Joe Bennett. Andi, we can't wait to see your celebration.
Once the highlights are up, Aaron will be along with a more complete match report. For now, here's what we've learned from listening to the dulcet tones of Jack Woodward:
- There's a bit of a pronunciation problem with Jordan Bowery's name, as it took us nearly a half hour to figure out that "Berry" was "Bowery". That could just be our ears, though. However you pronounce his name, it sounds like the young striker had a strong match.
- Marc Albrighton left the match before the half, after taking a knock. Marc might not be one of our best anymore (sniff) but this Villa side certainly needs no more injuries, particularly with its cup runs.
- Charles N'Zogbia sounded like he was quite lively today. He wasn't playing wide, exactly -- at least, not according to AVTV. Paul Lambert gave him more of a free role, and it sounded as though he was making himself dangerous.
- Barry Bannan is just not good enough on corners. Sometimes his free kicks are dangerous, but Villa really need another corner taker.
- Eric Lichaj is just not good at football. Sorry.
- Joe Bennett did well enough to earn Man of The Match. It sounded like he was getting forward quite a bit and putting in some decent crosses, so it'll be nice to get a few glimpses of him on the highlights.
- Andi is perfection. He is a Villa god and his name shall never be taken in vain.